This is how lazy we as a society has become. So we want the convenience of avoiding the "chore" of peeling a banana ? Even though that means we are going to trash tons of Styrofoam plates that will take thousands of years, if not more, to bio-degrade ... ?
My friends, you may laugh at the supermarket. But if you think more carefully about the issue, many of our other commonly accepted habits are not significantly less ridiculous. Think about these:
- we use Styroform cups in our cafeteria
- we buy bottled water when we are outside of our home
- we get five to ten plastic shopping bags for every grocery trip
- bringing our own mugs to the cafeteria,
- pre-filling a reusable water bottle with tap water before we go out,
- bringing a reusable shopping bags or baskets to groceries.
It is just that we have been having these other wasteful habits for a longer time. But this does not make them less ridiculous.
So if this supermarket's idea survives the public outcry (luckily there have been quite some), soon I think we can see these pre-peeled bananas sold in every supermarket. Good luck to our future generations!